Hello all! The below was forwarded to me by fellow RKC Brian Petty.There is an RKC master Class we are taping on July 11 so if you are RKC and can help with this please contact me. This class tape will be forwarded to Afghanistan for instructional purposes. This is my last blog post for about 2 weeks. I'm out!
It's been almost a month since I left for Afghanistan and it's been quite an experience so far. The Marines are incredible and I'm very blessed to be with them. Camp Leatherneck is a forward operating base in southern Afghanistan, right in the middle of bad-guy country. We're mostly Marines and a few Sailors and everyone is working very hard day/night. Operations are progressing and we're hoping to make a difference here!
Spiritually, it's been incredible to see the hunger and thirst for God's Word. We've got Bible Studies going almost every night of the week and many are asking the questions I love to answer the most, like "where will I go when I die?", and "how can I know God personally"? It's amazing to be part of the process and to see the seeds that others have planted over the years grow into fruit producing tree's! I know many of you are praying for us, we feel it many times in many ways. Thank you so much, there's nothing we need more than that!!
Some of you have expressed an interest in care packages. If you'd like to send something, I'll make sure it gets distributed. As I was making my rounds the past few days, I asked some of the men what they'd like from home. If you, your business, church, or family would want to do something to support the troops, here's the list I made:
1. By far the most popular choice was anything workout related. Marines LOVE to do physical training to relieve stress and they try to maintain HIGH levels of fitness. We've got 1 very small gym on this base and with 10,000 Marines here, its VERY packed 24/7 with VERY little equipment. Some of them have been creative in making their own weights, but its prison style and they make them out of sand-bags, etc. We've got an extra tent that they'd like to make their own gym. They've specifically asked for the following:
• Jump Ropes
• Medicine Balls
• Ab Mats
• Weight Bands/Resistance Bands
• TRX Suspension Trainer
• Elite Rings II
• Perfect Push-ups/Push-Up Handles
• Perfect Pull-ups/Pull-Up Bars
• P90X DVDs
• Olympic Barbells
• Weight Bench
• Bumper Plate Weights (rubber coating)
• Concept 2 Rowers (rowing machine)
They will use just about anything. Many of them like Crossfit, P90X and TRX Suspension style workouts and the above listed items are great equipment options for them.
2. Electronics and games: PSP, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360
Board Games: Scrabble, Yatzee, Axis and Allies, Risk, etc. Also, dart boards and darts.
3. Food Choices:
• Gatorade Powder
• Nutrition Bars: Clif, Zone, PowerBar, MetRx, etc.
• Graham Crackers
• Peanuts or any nut related products
• Cookies, Chips
• Air Freshener
• Laundry detergent and dryer sheets
• Foot Powder
If you mail it to me, I'll ensure the Marines get it:
Chaplain Matt Berrens
1st CEB - H&S CO.
FPO AP 96427-0501
We're trying to get the unit's website updated, so check it regularly for some pictures and more information: http://www.i-mef.usmc.mil/div/1ceb/default.asp
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
In His Unfailing Love,
Sandy Sommer, RKC