Thursday, April 2, 2009

Kettlebell Pistols in the Viking Warrior Strength Program

As you may know by now, I'm strictly following the Viking Warrior Conditioning program. Kenneth Jay wrote a great article a few years ago about Viking Warrior strength and how to train to be as strong as you can be essentially. That's what I'm doing now.

This week I'm in a Low Volume week so I did body weight pistols with an 8 KG Kettlebell for additional resistance today. I did fifteen reps on each side for a total of 30 reps rested very briefly between sets of two. When you watch the video you'll see that it's a work in progress.Please bear in mind that I taped the pistol video post workout. I can't wait to see where I am in two months or so.



I have quite a way to go but I wasn't doing pistols at all until 8 months ago. I have practiced to get this far and will continue to do so.
Would love to hear your thoughts, questions and comments!

Sandy Sommer, RKC

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At April 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Chris J said...

I still can't get one to go. I can do 2 body weight pull-ups, but that kills me, as in have to drop to the ground and can't repeat at all the rest of the day.

Any advice on how to get the pistol loaded? I've tried the door jamb methoid, but think it's working like knee push-ups (in other words not at all). I note that I tend to rely on the door, and really just pull myself up with my arms.

 
At April 3, 2009 at 4:45 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Chris,

I used the door jamb method to learn how to do pistols. The alternative is to lower yourself to a platform of some sort and keep lowering the deck of the platform. I hope this helps!

Sandy Sommer, RKC

 
At April 3, 2009 at 8:10 AM , Blogger SG Human Performance said...

15 each side is pretty impressive Sandy!

 
At April 7, 2009 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Liz said...

Sandy, you should be very proud. Those pistols you're doing are excellent. I am still doing one-leg bench squats and trying to work up to a bodyweight pistol squat.

 
At April 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Mike T Nelson said...

Pistols are much harder than they look for anyone that has not tried one!

Just a guess from watching your video is that your ankle in front may be a bit tight, preventing your knee from coming over your toes a bit and pushing you into the "back seat" a bit more.

Thoughts?

Keep us updated!
Rock on
Mike N

 
At April 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Mike,

It's about practice and patience. Pistols have been a real challenge for me for any number of reasons. About 1 minute after your "comment," I did pistol for first time with 16kg.Making progress and RKC in 14 months is the goal!

Thanks for your time:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home