Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Viking Warrior Conditioning Plan

I’ve finished the above book and I’m stoked. The conditioning and strength I’ve gained from ETK etc has me wanting to take my general physical preparedness to another realm.

I’ve lain out the below plan and hope you can offer your input.

I want to follow this for the foreseeable future and KJ makes a good case that is feasible.

Each session will be preceded with a joint mobility warm up as well as some swings and goblet squats.

Monday: Viking Strength Practice

Tuesday: Viking Conditioning

Wednesday: Variety day: Will always include TGU practice and then I may get out a sledgehammer, sandbag or a Power Wheel. Probably will do a wind sprint or 20 as well.

Thursday: Viking Strength

Friday: Viking conditioning

Saturday: Viking Strength

Plan to cycle this for 5 weeks and then take a week off to recovery. Will do joint mobility work etc during this week.

Here’s where I am: PR on Press is 36 KG. I’ve done 40 minutes MVO2 going 15/15. Am going to retest the cMOV2 and start again. Last did it fully in January.

I’ve been practicing low volume pull ups with 8 KG attached to one foot. High volume with bodyweight.

When I practice pistols I usually do it with body weight.

I will continue to do my ETK press ladders separate from my pull ups.


I thought I’d rotate the Viking strength practice with the 3 Beast Exercises. For example, I’d start Monday with Press, High Volume.

Then Thursday, Low Pistol practice.

Saturday would we High volume pull up practice.

The next week I’d start with Low volume press Monday. High Volume Pistols Thursday and then end on Low volume pull ups and so on.

Do you agree with my approach? What suggestions would you make?

My goal is to be able to do the MV02 with the 24 KG kettlebell. Also, will go to RKC II next summer and kill it so I will be pressing the 40 KG KB by then as well be able to pull up with the 24 KG bell.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At March 29, 2009 at 6:10 AM , Blogger Laura said...

This looks like an incredible program! I am looking forward to reading about your progress.

 
At March 29, 2009 at 6:20 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Thanks Laura. I plan on making it an incredible journey. Meeting with Sr RKC Will Williams today to make sure this makes sense.

 
At March 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Sandy, it looks awesome! Having a great plan is exciting and in a way, comforting. Enjoy the ride!

 
At March 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Sarah,

I appreciate your support. It's going to be fun and tough:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home