Thursday, March 19, 2009

What's Up With "The Secret?"

If you have, then you'll know that it practically became the goal-achievement 'bible' overnight due to it's very simple, yet very powerful message about how you can be, do and have practically anything in life that you want as long as you do one or two key things.

They are:

1. Think about what you want on a regular basis
2. Think about it positively


That was it really. That was the 'secret' of The Secret! In fact, that is the explicit message on almost any book related to "thinking your way to success."

Now, I'm not knocking this at all, far from it. First off, most people (myself included) can be really unfocused and unclear about what they want and spending some time focusing can be really beneficial.

And positive thinking is clearly something to strive for. After all, going through life with a dark cloud over your head is not really going to help you feel good about even STARTING your goals, let alone achieving them.

So I have no real problems with the advice that The Secret shares, it makes sense and, truth be told, thousands of people have already gone on to achieve great things as a result of following this simple advice, but again, there are a lot of people who couldn't seem to make it work for them and are now dismissive of the who goal achievement 'thing'.

I tried thinking positive and holding my goals in my thoughts but still, the bills piled up and the same old hassles that were always in my life before were still there so I did what most people would do. I gave up the whole goal-setting thing as a waste of time.

That is until I came across (yet another) goal achievement program that was saying some things that were very different to what I'd been hearing from the "thoughts become things" crowd.

In fact, this program said that thoughts DON'T become things, but rather, they could become things, but not necessarily.

It jokingly explained that if thoughts really did automatically become things
then most teenage boys would materialize pretty young girls into their bedrooms. After all, this is what's on their minds most of the time, right? : )

Sounds funny, I know, but it struck a chord. After all, if thinking clearly of something that's important to you, holding it in your mind and thinking about it a lot works to bring goals to life, then it should work, right?

And as to thinking positive...

I'd always been told that thinking positive was a critical step to making your goals come to life, but again in this program I was told that this simply wasn't true. After all, if being positive made your goals come to life you should be able to sit in the middle of a busy road, smile and say 'I won't get hit, I won't get hit, I won't get hit" and sure enough, all the trucks will completely miss you.

Not a strategy that I think I'd like to try : )

It all makes sense doesn't it?

The idea that you can't just put on a happy face, think about your goals and have them come to life?

I think so anyway : )

So what's the real 'secret' to goal achievement?

Well, I guess it's simply that there isn't one. Not as in one hidden thing that once exposed will bring your goals to life. It's more a case of having a strategy that is proven to work rather than relying on hope or wishful thinking.

What's the strategy?

It's coming... I promise!

In fact, I've persuaded Dax Moy, author of The MAGIC Hundred to spill the beans right here on my blog over the next week so DEFINITELY stay tuned.

Speak soon!

Sandy Sommer, RKC

P.S - Don't forget to leave your own comments about this post. What do YOU think are the not-so-secret secrets to achieving success?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I've done a lot of thinking about this same thing & the only thing I can come up with is staying in constant motion toward something. When I was in residency, I had a faculty member who would tell us to just DO SOMETHING. If it was the wrong thing, we would still get a result that would lead us to the proper thing. He was right.

 
At March 20, 2009 at 5:00 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

DOING SOMETHING is always a good idea. Sure you may take the wrong path but at least your moving and course can be changed.

 
At March 20, 2009 at 5:07 AM , Blogger Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Your post today made me think of a quote that I often put into practice.

"A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future."
- General George Patton Jr

Terry

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home