Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why Quality Kettlebells?


Using a quality tool is important to getting any job done correctly. I have used so many different kettlebells it would make your head spin. Why? Well I was looking for quality at a low price and I couldn't locate it. But I kept trying. Ader, K2, Perform Better and Power Systems. Each one had limitations and my opinion is that they weren't for me. The kettlebells they carry at Target couldn't even be called a kettlebell accurately.

Many people say that kettlebells aren't cheap. First, compared to what? Nothing will give you as much bang for your buck and good ones don't break. I have used only two kettlebells that I would willingly use again. First, the Dragon Door Kettlebells are what I train with daily. They are the best KB your money can buy. They feel great and in your hand but they do feel different than all other kettlebells. I can assure you that if you show up at the RKC a Dragon Door virgin you will wish you had made the investment before the certification.

Also, as far as I know they are also the only company that will sell you a bell and if you don't like it, give you a full refund up to 12 months later.

Another kettlebell worth a shot and a bit more economical, is the Lifeline Kettlebell. They feel pretty good. I would use them comfortably in a pinch. Are a bit cheaper but not such a guarantee.

Here's the number though. Assuming that you can get 1000 uses from a bell (and that is conservative) then a Dragon Door Bell cost around .12 cents per use. The Lifeline would run about .09 cents. I think Dragon Door is worth it!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At March 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah those things at target are a joke. They even sell them by 5 lb. increments. Disgusting!!!

I haven't tried DD bells, but I do love my apollo bells.

 
At March 24, 2009 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Christian,

Never tried the Apollo but the new pricing will probably get more folks into Dragon Door Kettlebells.

 
At March 24, 2009 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Bud Gibson said...

Handles are what convinced me to try a better kettlebell. Have used the AKC kettlebell, and it tore up my hands. Unpleasant.

I've tried the k2, not bad. Have the dragon door arriving in the next couple of days.

What pushed me to try the dragon door was the quality of their instructional material. I'll let you know how I like it.

BTW, the new pricing on the dragon door still leaves them expensive but a lot closer to other kettlebells.

 
At March 24, 2009 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Bud,

I hope you enjoy the kettlebells as much as the information. I think you will. They aren't the least expensive for sure but I haven't used anything I like as much. Obviously biased:)

 
At March 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM , Blogger Mike Frerichs said...

Thanks Sandy, this is very helpful. I am looking to invest in better than the Target ones I started out with.

 
At March 25, 2009 at 6:06 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Mike,

You will find the Dragon Door kettlebells to be much more comfortable to work with. If you need anything at all please let me know as I am here to help!

 
At March 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Chris J said...

My 16kg are Dragon Door. Everything else is Perform Better (first place). I learned on Adders...


I really like the PB ones, the vinyl coloring, and the rubber on the bottom. I know I can paint the DD, but just like the feel and run with the PB better. In fact I've been thinking of replacing my 16kg with PB.

However if I ever buy a beast (106lbs), it's going to be DD.

 
At March 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Chris,

Thanks for your input. I have used PerformBetter and for me the rubber base was too instable to safely do Renegade Rows. Also my handles rusted and they were never even outdoors. It is humid on the East Coast, but.....

 
At March 25, 2009 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Chris J said...

I've had my 24 kg ones for 2 years, no problem on rust. my 32kg bell, I don't think was painted right. My hands are always black after using it.

Not saying I don't like the DD, just that I like the PB more.

 
At March 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Sandy, I agree with you on the Perform Better bells and renegade rows. I banged up my knee pretty badly one day trying to do renegade rows with PB bells due to the instability you mentioned.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home