Saturday, March 28, 2009

How To Become A Viking Warrior

I'm starting a new journey. I have finished the Viking Warrior Conditioning Manual and I'm about to embark on a journey that may have no final destination. Based on what I've come up with, I may be able to work Kenneth Jay's strength and conditioning program from now on.

Allow me to share my how I got to where I am. I was first introduced to the kettlebell in November, 2006. I somehow ended up at the Dragon Door website and saw a kettlebell for the the first time. Looked pretty cool. At that point there were no RKC instructors nearby but in February of the following year one moved back to Baltimore from LA and I invested in a bunch of training sessions with her.

I thought I was in great shape but she quickly helped dispel of those notions. I may have looked like I was in shape but I couldn't move well at all. My hips were locked up. My glutes maybe could "spark" but certainly weren't capable of "Firing" effectively and I was all bound up.

Our focus was on creating effective movement and once we got that ball rolling she introduced me to the swing. I was hooked. It didn't take me long to figure out that I was going to become a kettlebell devotee.

We worked together for sometime but she moved again and I lost my instructor. Mike Mahler was 2 hours away and I went to his all day seminar and learned even more. At that point I knew I wanted to become an RKC and share this amazing tool with a client base. Why?

Well, first of all, as a former very competitive athlete, it took me all of about a minute to realize that the explosive nature of kettlebell practice had application beyond any tools I had ever used. Second, workouts were short, intense and effective. In our society, where we value time so dearly, I knew that it wouldn't be hard to share my passion with others.

I kept training, using what I had learned from my local trainer as well as from Mike, but again found that I wasn't technically as sound as I thought I was. I worked with two other regionally based RKC instructors and was finally ready for my RKC weekend.

I was in the best condition of my adult life and perhaps of my whole life.

Now, I'm about to take that up a notch. I will be sharing each workout session here. It will be a combination of Viking Warrior Strengh Practice and Viking WArrior conditioning workouts.

Follow my progress as I become a Viking Warrior!

Sandy Sommer, RKC

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Jordan Vezina said...

Good luck sandy. I made an astounding amount of progress with the mvo2 and am now back on it.

 
At March 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Jordan,

Thanks for the thought. I got to 80 work sets back in January and then stopped. Started up again now. Did session with Will Williams yesterday and we knocked out 60 work sets. Felt great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home