Friday, April 3, 2009

Viking Strength Practice Pressing Two Kettlebells in One Hand

Kenneth Jay, Senior RKC, recommends pressing two kettlebells together in one hand as a way to simulate a heavier kettlebell. The Viking Warrior Strength and Conditioning program requires low volume and high volume raw strength training as well as killer conditioning.

My inventory leaps from 28 KG kettlebell to a 40 and I'm not able to press the Bulldog yet. Working on it. And I will get it. I keep making progress in my conditioning as well as my strength.

The way that KJ recommends that we use two bells in one hand is to safely rack the bells together from dead. The smaller bell should have the larger bell resting on top once you have the kettlebells racked for pressing. It's a bit tricky and is best done outside. Always be safe with kettlebells and be aware of your environment. You don't want to get hurt.

Once the bells are racked you really have no choice but to execute the lift with proper RKC form. If your form goes in the toilet then you will lose the kettlebells at best.



Today I did 3 ladders of 3 rungs with the 12 and 16 kettlebell. That simulates a level of resistance similar to a 32 KG kettlebell. So 36 reps total. Low volume strength work.

Please leave me a comment and I love the feedback!

Sandy Sommer, RKC

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At April 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Laura said...

What a great idea! I almost think it's easier to get the hang of kettlebell lifts if you use very heavy weight than if you go light. When you heavy up on, say, a press, you're forced to use your lats and obliques, whereas if you go light the temptation for many people is to use the delts as the prime movers.

The pistols look great. I'm pistol-challenged myself, but I think it's mostly a mental thing.

 
At April 3, 2009 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Laura,

You raise a great point. Same on ballistics. Often if someone isn't getting the mechanics of the kettlebell swing, moving up gets it done.

I often go light to make sure I create tension under less load. Actually can be more difficult to do as you know.

I have progressed from complete pistol inability to where I am now. Will continue to move:)

Sandy Sommer, RKC

 
At April 12, 2009 at 1:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sandy

I've just started bloggibg and found my way to your blog. Interesting to read.

I notice what you write about pressing two kettlebells in one hand. A few months ago, I reveived my first 40kg bell - until then I've been doing the TGU and bentpress with a 32+8kg bells, and it felt MUCH easier with the new 40kg, than with the two.

Greetings from Denmark

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home