Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fat Scorching Kettlebell Session Today

I did my own version of a "300" type workout today with just kettlebells. I picked a 16kg because I was focused on measured, safe speed. Use the lightest bell you practice with is a good idea here.

Total time was 24:06 and calories were 458 AHR was 148 and max was 169.

For Three rounds:

10 reps per side with single bell and the bell shouldn't ever be on hte floor during a round. If you must rest, then please continue to grip the bell. 300 reps total when completed.

Kettlebell Thrusters



Kettlebell Clean and Press( Clean after each rep)



Kettlebell Overhead Squat ( or Racked Squats)



Kettlebell Windmill (make sure both feet are turned away at 45 degrees and make sure your hip is shifted under the bell. When bell is on right feet are turned left and vice versa)



Kettlebell Snatch (or one armed swing if you don't know how to snatch)



If there are movements here that you aren't comfortable with the modify them.

Have a great workout!

Sandy Sommer, RKC

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At February 15, 2009 at 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try this tomorrow, Sandy. Thanks for posting it.

dave

 
At February 17, 2009 at 6:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OUch! Well, that taught me a few things. Most noticibly that I cannot do Windmills to save my life. I've got pretty poor rotation and range of movement through my shoulders and thoracic vertebrae which means that I have real difficulty with this type of exercise. I also found that I was struggling to keep decent form with a 16kg, so I dropped to a 12kg on the grounds that better form with a lighter weight is better exercise.

I did the full 300 reps, however, I did do racked squats rather than overhead squats and my Windmills were quite "ugly" and adapted to keep the kettlebell racked rather than above at arms length. I could still feel the pull on my obliques etc, so they did some good, albeit reduced and ugly. My lack of range of movement through my back and shoulders is something that I will need to address :(

Scores on the doors: "230cals, 19.30mins, mhr 153, ahr 129"

Thanks for the testing routine, Sandy.

 
At February 17, 2009 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Nice effort! You either can shift to a lighter bell as you did or in my case I ususally recovery longer. Hence my time longer than yours probably. Have you tried using a foam roller on your T-Spine? Magical for me. Much better than before at least? One challenge many have on windmills is that little hip shift so that KB is perpendicular to the pelvis. Hope that this helps.

 
At February 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have used a foam roller, on the advice of a PT friend of mine, but limited success so far. He recently attended a seminar about the biomechanics of nerves (sciatic etc) and thinks that some of the things he has learned there may help me, but I'm waiting to find some time with him for an assessment. I had sussed the "hip shift" for windmills, but, again, my hip motion is partially restricted, much to my TKD instructors chagrin. Problem is that I spent the first 42 years of my life as fat and sedentary - I've only been fit and really active for the past year or so, and my body has a bit of catching up to do! I'll get there though.

 
At February 17, 2009 at 9:11 AM , Blogger Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

I am betting your mobility and ease of motion are incrementally better than when you started and it will only improve more. Be patient:) I was 45 when I started with the kettlebell and can move better now than at 25. Much improved in two years. My hips and back were a mess, my friend LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home