Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Who Needs Shiny Objects? We Have Kettlebells!


I'm as guilty as the next person when it comes to the latest, greatest stuff. It's fun to try out something new and variety is said to be the spice of life. To be truly skilled though in anything that we need to be well schooled in the basics. To paraphrase from the RKC instructors manual "the difference between the elite and the merely able, is that the elite do the fundamentals to perfection."

Interesting. Yet I get emails all the time wondering about why my workouts don't seem to have much variety in them. All I am interested in is results. I'm not in the entertainment business for either me or my clients. My business is physical and mental renovation. So we focus on the Swing, Turkish Get Up, Clean, Military Press, Tactical Pull Ups, Pistol, Front Squat and the Snatch. I will throw in a few other things from time to time that are body weight or kettlebells but what you see is what you get.

I was talking to Dr. Mark Cheng, RKC Team Leader, today and his focus on the RKC fundamentals is like a laser. And why wouldn't it be. If you want to move well and with power than kettlebells are likely your prescription. Speaking of a prescription, check out Dr. Cheng's Delaware Kettlebell Workshop. It will prove to be a great opportunity to learn from one of the best. To give you an idea, about half of the enrollment is RKC certified, yet a complete neophyte will be comfortable and learn enough that they will be more than competent.

It is quite simple...I didn't say easy, I said simple. I can help someone reverse engineer almost any goal or, if it isn't realistic or is too easy, then I can help them come up with something better. To complete a physical renovation goal you really need to be able to quantify where you are now and where you want to be.

Next time, I will share with you a lot of my thoughts on reverse engineering. Trust me it works.

Sandy Sommer, RKC

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At June 4, 2009 at 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post, Sandy!
Agree with you on fundamentals being critical...with any endeavor.

I'd like to hear/read more about how you go about your reverse engineering process...always looking for new ways/methods to hit goals!

(Looking forward learning how to swing a kb and do TGU! Stoked!!)

Thanks for the post!

Stay strong,
Fred

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home