Sunday, May 31, 2009

On Kettlebells and Benchmarks and Goals and Such

Why do we work out? Do you know?

If not, then you are like most of the people who are out there struggling to get more fit. As an example, "I want to get stronger" is not a goal. "I will do 100 snatches in five minutes by July 1, 2009 " is a goal.

Goals are important to the success of any endeavor. I mean how can you do something if you don't know what you want to do. Right?

We need goals for each workout. Goals for life. Goals for love. Short term goals. Medium ones etc. etc. Sunday drives with no particular destination are surely nice from time to time. But every day?

The start of a workout is not the time to decide what you are going to do. You really ought to consider trying to create your workout the day before. You should know what you will do and then do it. Folks who have no goals before a workout typically don't want to be held to account. Don't be this person. Look, freestyle workouts are great from time to time. But you won't accomplish much if freestyle is your workout of choice.

The only way to set up new benchmarks is to keep a workout journal.I find that those who keep a diary are much more successful than those who don't. Write down your results, your state of mind....in short, anything that will impact what you were able to accomplish. And your benchmarks should be realistic for you. 100 snatches in 5 minutes isn't realistic for most of my clients in the foreseeable future. Now 50 in 5 may be good. Benchmarks are personal and need to take into account lots of things. How hard you are able and willing to work? Your age, your sex, etc...all will come into play. The key is to always be improving.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At June 1, 2009 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Greenteagirl said...

Great post! I spent many years going to the gym without a plan. What a waste of time. Now, I would be lost without my workout notebook. I can see what the weights I last used were and can improve over time. If you're serious about results, you'll be serious about having a plan and goals.

 
At June 1, 2009 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Juan Bacca RKC said...

So true about goals,Sandy.
Without set and written goals I have no desire or incentive.That is just me.

 
At June 1, 2009 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Laura said...

What's the saying? "If you don't have a plan, then plan to fail."

One of the first things I do with a new client is discuss goals. Usually the client has a reasonable idea of the "outcome goal" he or she wants (lose 20 pounds of fat/gain 10 pounds of muscle/shave a minute off the time in which she can run a mile/whatever) but no clear idea of how to get from where she is to where she wants to be. That's where working with a trainer can be invaluable. We can help our clients formulate "process goals" (doing X workouts a week, eating X fewer calories a day, whatever) that will allow them to achieve their outcome goal in the desired time frame, assuming the outcome goal is a realistic one. If it's not, we can help with that as well.

 
At June 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post, Sandy!
For me, having a written workout with set, reps and loads id crucial. I used to be one of those guys you'd see wandering around aimlessly "deciding" what to do next. What a waste of time. Now I find it fun to try and beat my last time...psychologically I think it makes you work more intensely. No, I know it does!

One of MY near term goals is to learn how the correct way to do KB swings from a trainer I know in Towson, MD!

Thanks again, Sandy!

Fred

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home